This is a love story…but not your typical one. That is the underlying story of the Elizabeth Chanakira Cancer Trust. It was founded in May 2011 because of a daughter’s love and pain after her mother, Elizabeth Chanakira, passed away from cancer a few months previously.
In the last 10 months since the ECCT was formed, it has focused on its first 2 missions: raising awareness of various cancers and raising awareness of Natural Health/Fitness as a way for us to have healthier bodies and reduce the risk of disease. The ECCT is now ready to implement its third mission: to fundraise for marginalized/poverty-stricken Zimbabwean cancer sufferers.
SPONSOR A CANCER PATIENT CAMPAIGN
The campaign is the first worldwide fundraising campaign to be launched by the ECCT in April 2012. It is an ongoing commitment and will involve the following:
- Sponsorship of 5 marginalized Zimbabwean cancer sufferers.
- The actual sponsorship will commence in January 2013, thus from April 2012, the ECCT will commence fundraising in preparation for sponsorship in January.
- Each cancer sufferer will be sponsored for at least 2 years for one or more of: food, prescription costs, medical consultation fees and if they have any eligible children – the ECCT will provide payment of the annual school fees of 1 school going child.
- When the new ECCT website goes live in April 2012, Zimbabwean-based cancer sufferers can apply for funding on our website, by post or in person by downloading the application form from 1 May 2012. Applications close on 30 June 2012 and a decision on the 5 people to be sponsored will be made by the ECCT team by 31 July 2012.
At ECCT, we believe in implementing donor funding to goals which will assist in long-term change for potential and actual Zimbabwean cancer sufferers. This is reflected in the following:
- Payment of school fees: in Zimbabwe, countless cancer sufferers are left unable to send their children to school as they wipe out their lifetime investments to pay for their treatment. Children are our future. Education lasts a lifetime. If we can assist in the education of our future leaders, doctors, visionaries etc, we will do the best we can.
- Advocacy: ECCT recently became a part of the Cancer Health & Advocacy Group with several other cancer organisations in Zimbabwe. One of the main objectives of the group is to speak as one voice for Zimbabwean cancer sufferers by for example, lobbying Government for better cancer care treatment policies.
*Pic sources: inclusive-solutions; freenationalgeographicblogspot; learnexconsulting.