On Friday 11 October 2013, an evening of inspiration to support the five patients the ECCT is supporting was held at Maurice & Blackburn Lawyers, Melbourne – the Hope Beyond Cancer Fundraising Evening. The evening was co-hosted by President of the Queensland African Communities Council – Sharon Orapeleng (who was also fundraising for the Cancer Association of Botswana on the night) – and ECCT Founder Teurai Chanakira.
It was a fantastic night, which had Guests of Honour such as the Botswana High Commissioner His Excellency Molosiwa Selepeng who also spoke on behalf of Dr. Sheila Tlou (former Health Minister of Botswana and now Director for UNAIDS for Regional Support Teams in East and Southern Africa). Unfortunately, she had to send apologies as she was unable to attend due to an important meeting in Sydney on the same day.
Furthermore the night included:
- An auction hosted by the eloquent Joys Jambis-Ferris, who also sang for guests at the end of the evening.
- The auction included a signed jersey donated by AFL player Majak Daw, art pieces donated by artists Edem Badu, Nelson Nyangole and another artist who wished to remain anonymous. In addition, the auction had a beautiful neck piece from Kalahari Designs.
- A raffle which contained prizes from Melbourne restaurant La Spaghettata, Naturally Trim, Fit N Fast Gyms, Australia and driving lesson vouchers.
- Music entertainment by JoysSoul Music and Quashani Bahd.
- Food and drinks.
The evening was a success and approximately $1,500 was raised which will be divided between the ECCT and the Cancer Association of Botswana. The ECCT will be using the funds for the following and will be updating you constantly as these costs are paid:
- Contributions towards a bone grafting procedure for one of the patients – Virimayi – who had a large cancerous jaw mass removed from his face in May 2013.
- School fees for the children, with a school term costing an average of USD$30-$80/child. We are happy that in the last few weeks since the event we have had sponsors come forward offering to assist some of the children (details to be provided when it is finalised).
- Food hampers for the patients at an average of USD$30/hamper, particularly with Christmas fast approaching.
Please see the slideshow of images below to view the events of this inspirational night. We would like to give a big thank you to the photographer for the night, Gary Chambers who runs a successful photography company in Melbourne – Lime Imagery.
*To visit the ECCT website for the latest updates on the Sponsor Cancer Patient Campaign and what work has been done with the patients, click here now.