When we hear the two words ‘breast cancer’, we often shudder. So many have been affected by this disease, be it directly or indirectly through experiencing it themselves, watching someone go through it, losing someone to it and so forth. Thus the Shona title to this blog –‘ndezvedu tese’ meaning it’s for all of us. We can’t ignore or turn our heads from it because at some point in our lives, it affects us in some form or the other. Statistics from sources such as the World Health Organisation state that breast cancer is the top cancer in women worldwide and is increasing particularly in developing countries where the majority of cases are diagnosed in late stages. The Zimbabwe National Cancer Registry also states that breast cancer is one of the leading killers of women in the country.
As many of you know the woman who the Elizabeth Chanakira Cancer Trust (‘the ECCT’) was named after and is in honour of – Elizabeth (see image above) – battled seven years of breast cancer and lost her fight to the disease in December 2010. As we near October, the ECCT would like to initiate another breast cancer campaign. In the past, we have seen great global awareness of the disease with campaigns we hosted such as the Pink Album where the ECCT Community Said No to Breast Cancer. Click here to view the amazing contributions to that campaign from women worldwide.
Organisations such as the World Health Organisation state that most cancers can be reduced by a healthier lifestyle. Bearing that in mind, we would like to introduce our global Breast Cancer awareness campaign which starts on Thursday 1 October 2015, and invite you to participate.
We are asking women worldwide to:
- upload an image of a healthy recipe or record them, or someone else doing any exercise onto the ECCT Facebook page. You can also choose to contact us with the content either on the Facebook page or via our website by clicking here – so that we can upload it for you.The proviso is that there must be pink in the image or video, for example a pink table mat, one can wear a pink top etc to represent Breast Cancer month. We would like you to use your imagination!
- Include 1 breast cancer fact and hashtag #ecctnotobreastcancer with any upload.
- One can opt to donate at least $1 to the ECCT. There is a Donate Now button on the ECCT Facebook page here. The funds go to support the 4 marginalised cancer patients/their families supported by the ECCT with school fees for their kids, medications and food hampers. Please click here to see some of the images of the patients and their families.
The aim of the Campaign is to:
- Raise awareness of breast cancer. Knowledge is power and we can never get enough learning that may save a life – either yours or a loved one’s.
- Raise awareness of the importance of fitness or a healthy lifestyle to reducing the risk of some cancers.
- Fundraise to support the ECCT patients and their families.
We would like to thank our first participant – mother of two – Nyaradzo Matebwe – who has made a $50 donation and provided a healthy smoothie recipe which we will put up on our Facebook page on Thursday 1 October 2015 as we launch the campaign. Keep an eye on our blog as we will keep you posted.